Armed Forces Veteran Support Worker
Please see advert text
Advert Start Date:
Advert End Date:
Closed for applications on 25/02/2019 23:59
£17,600 - £22,000 (pro rata)
Northumbria Policing Area
At Northern Learning Trust we aim to improve the potential and raise the aspiration of people through learning and mentoring. Much of our work is with vulnerable and disadvantaged people and communities with complex needs. We use informal learning and mentoring to build confidence and skills, help people overcome barriers and find solutions to their problems.
An important aspect of our work is to support Armed Forces Veterans who have become involved in the Criminal Justice System. By facilitating access to a wide range of Veteran specific services, we aim to help those veterans leaving custody or serving community sentences, to stabilise their lives, integrate fully into civilian life and reduce their risk of reoffending.
To ensure that the veterans we support have access to high quality, responsive mentoring support, we are seeking a dedicated and highly motivated Veterans’ Support Worker to join our team. With experience of having served in the armed forces or in a role supporting veterans, the ideal candidate will be highly motivated and dedicated, able to organise and manage their own caseload and fully committed to the ethos and values of Northern Learning Trust.
In return we offer you the opportunity to join a forward thinking and supportive organisation at an exciting stage in its development. We value our team members and offer a competitive salary, flexible working patterns and a friendly, supportive work environment.
Important and essential aspects of this post will be:
• To support Armed Forces Veterans leaving custody or with non-custodial sentences to re-settle effectively into their communities across the Northumbria policing area
• To engage with organisations and services to meet the specific needs of veterans
• To work with veterans in a variety of settings e.g. 1:1 mentoring, small group work
• To manage a caseload including completion of project documentation in line with project contract
• To meet specific targets outlined in contracts with commissioners
• Effectively promote the ethos and values of Northern Learning Trust
Main Duties and Responsibilities
• Liaise with key staff within Community Rehabilitation Company (CRC) offices to ensure that they are aware of the service and to generate referrals to the project
• Identify the needs of veterans and develop appropriate action plans that will support effective resettlement
• Provide mentoring support to veterans to enable them to participate in positive activities that will reduce offending behaviour and attitudes
• Develop and manage progression routes for veterans
• Maintain and monitor referrals, client records, outputs and outcome processes and procedures within deadlines
• Accurate use of commissioners recording Management Information system to record and monitor project activities
• Organise access to a range of activities, programmes and services, including veteran specific, to meet the needs of veterans
• Develop relationships with relevant organisations and professionals, to ensure an effective, consistent and holistic approach to meeting the various needs of veterans
• Provide written and/or oral reports as required to appropriate bodies
• Attend meetings, conferences or training events as appropriate
• Such other responsibilities allocated which are appropriate to the grade of the post
Closing Date: Monday 25th February 2019
Interviews will be held on Thursday 7th March 2019
This job is closed for applications.