Teacher of Modern Languages
Advert Start Date:
Advert End Date:
Closed for applications on 25/03/2019 12:00
MPS/UPS £23,720 - £39,406 per annum
Hours per week:
Full time as in accordance with the teachers' pay and conditions document
Schools - Teaching
St Mary's Catholic School, Benton Park Road, Newcastle upon Tyne NE7 7PE
This school has Academy status and you will be employed by the Board of Trustees
St Mary's Catholic School
Benton Park Road
Newcastle upon Tyne
Executive Headteacher: Mr J Foster
NOR c. 1400 (11-18)
Required for September 2019
The Governors wish to appoint an excellent Teacher of Modern Languages to contribute to our flourishing MFL department. The ability to teach French and/or Spanish is essential. This post should appeal to both recently qualified teachers or to more experienced candidates, looking to develop further in an outstanding school, which is totally committed to Languages. 90% of students study two languages in Years 7 and 8. Over 70% now continue with at least one language into Key Stage 4. Sixth Form uptake is also growing year on year. This is a wonderful opportunity for someone wishing to join an outstanding department and a highly successful, positive and forward thinking school.
St Mary’s is a very successful, popular and happy school, rated Outstanding by the Diocese and Ofsted. We became an academy in 2013 and enjoy outstanding facilities in a new building, which opened in 2011. We are also very popular with parents and are one of the most over-subscribed schools in the north-east. We have around 1,100 students in the main school and our Sixth Form, of over 200, is expected to grow to 300 in the next three years.
In addition, we are a Teaching School, increasingly engaged in school to school support, initial teacher training and CPD and leadership development across the region. As a result, further opportunities for professional development are wide-ranging and an added attraction for potential new staff.
At St Mary’s, Modern Languages is a well-established and highly respected department with excellent results. Recent highlights include:
• Over 75% of MFL pupils achieved at least a GCSE Level 4 or better in 2018, and 61% achieved a GCSE Level 5 or better
• Outstanding Progress score of 0.38 for languages, which was significantly above the national standards
• 77% of pupils were entered for at least 1 Language GCSE compared with just 45% nationally
• Over 85% of A Level Language grades over the last 4 years were A*-B and 100% were A*-C and above
• Over 55% of A Level Language grades were A* or A in 2018.
Above all, the Governors wish to appoint a teacher with:
• A clear commitment to nurturing and promoting the school’s distinctive ethos
• A passion for providing the best possible holistic education for all students
• A commitment to maximising achievement through excellence in teaching and learning
• An excellent track record as a classroom teacher
• The ability to promote a love of learning Languages in our students.
Application packs are available to download here, from our school website, or by e-mailing the Executive Headteacher’s PA, email@example.com.
If you require any further information about the post, please do not hesitate to contact Emma Patterson, Head of School or Suzanne Fisher, Senior Assistant Headteacher on 0191 215 3260.
Closing date: 12noon on Monday 25 March 2019. Interviews will follow later that week.
The school is fully committed to safeguarding and the welfare of children and young people. This post is subject to an enhanced DBS check.
This job is closed for applications.