Advert Start Date:
Advert End Date:
Closed for applications on 12/11/2019 23:59
Grade 9 (SCP 37- 41) £39,782 - £43,662
Sunderland Civic Centre
The City’s Capital Projects team is responsible for the design and project management of new-build and refurbishment capital construction schemes, ranging from c.£200K to £10m+. Projects are largely educational buildings, but also include sports and leisure facilities, public infrastructure & administration buildings, heritage projects and social care facilities.
To assist with an expanding capital programme, the team now requires an experienced Project Manager to oversee delivery of projects, working closely with Clients, end-users, designers and quantity surveyors to ensure projects are delivered on time, on budget and to quality standards.
The successful candidate will have considerable experience of managing design and construction projects from the Employer’s perspective, from inception to completion, and on through the defects remediation process.
The role will consist of:
1 .Managing Traditional and Design & Build projects of varying values under various forms of contract and procurement routes.
2. Assuming the role of Contract Administrator where required.
3. Appointing and managing consultants, both in-house and external.
4. Involvement in the production of tender documents and Employer’s Requirements, and evaluation of tenders.
5. Responsibility for the delivery of schemes within prescribed cost, time and quality parameters.
Candidates will need to demonstrate:
1. Extensive experience in managing all phases and aspects of design and construction projects, and a comprehensive understanding of the various disciplines and processes contributing to them.
2. A thorough understanding of Health & Safety procedures and practices and CDM regulations and their practical application.
3. A good understanding of architectural and construction techniques and the broad principles of, and interfaces with, building services systems.
4. Strong all-round knowledge and experience of the application and administration of the standard suite of JCT contracts; additionally, a good working knowledge of NEC contracts and experience of assuming the role of NEC Project Manager would be beneficial.
5. General knowledge and experience of Planning, Building Control and other statutory procedures.
6. The ability to manage staff, consultants and procedures to ensure satisfactory project delivery.
7. A good all-round knowledge of procurement processes; working experience in Local Authorities or other public bodies is preferable.
8. Very strong project planning skills, with an understanding of the many interdependencies and work streams within a design and construction project. Working experience of Microsoft Project or similar is essential.
9. A good understanding of risk and risk management procedures.
10.A comprehensive understanding of Change Control procedures.
The successful candidate will have:
• A strong but affable personality, with the ability to deal with and manage Clients, end-users, colleagues, consultants, contractors and other parties at all levels.
• The ability to make clear decisions, often under pressure.
• The ability to work as part of a multi-disciplinary team while assuming a leading role, and the ability to work independently when required.
• Strong analytical skills and the ability to quickly understand technical and financial information.
• A flexible approach to work and the ability to deal with a varied portfolio of concurrent projects.
While solid and extensive practical experience is considered paramount, it is anticipated that the successful candidate will be degree qualified in a relevant discipline. Membership of a relevant Professional organisation, or a willingness to obtain membership if required, is desirable.
For an informal discussion please contact the Recruiting Manager Kari Ray on 0191 561 1239
Applications should be made on-line at northeastjobs.org.uk/sunderlandcitycouncil. For further assistance contact the Org Man & Resourcing Team by Telephone: 0191 561 1755 . Email: firstname.lastname@example.org Please note that CV’s are not acceptable.
Please note that all communication regarding your application for this post will be sent to the email address that you have registered online with North East Jobs, including your invitation to any online assessment you are required to undertake and your to invite to interview if you are short-listed. Please check your email inbox after the closing date for notifications as you may not be notified by any other means. Please remember to check your junk mail items.
Please be advised if you have not heard from us in six weeks after the closing date please assume you have not been shortlisted.
This job is closed for applications.