Early Years Teacher (maternity cover for our Nursery)
Advert Start Date:
Advert End Date:
£ Main scale (M1 - M6)
Schools - Teaching
Lowick First School is looking for a qualified teacher who is caring and enthusiastic to lead our school nursery. Our nursery is thriving and we have a lovely dedicated building with lots of scope for fun activities. We also host a popular stay and play sessions twice a week to build links with our local community.
The nursery building is on the school site and has access to our extensive grounds. It does have its own dedicated outdoor area which we like to use as often as possible. We currently take children from 2 years old, so experience with younger children would be an advantage.
This role also includes some work with children in the main school, especially Class 1 (Reception and Year 1 pupils) so we need someone who is able to be flexible and is able to teach up to year 4 if necessary.
Job Description and Person Specification
Our expectations of the post:
• To be responsible for the development and day to day working of the Nursery with support from the Headteacher, the staff of the First School and the early years teaching assistant.
• Provide a safe, caring and stimulating environment for the children.
• To work collaboratively with a caring and friendly team - currently our children benefit greatly from working together with first school children at certain points in the week.
• To build links and work in close partnership with current and prospective parents, carers and professionals to promote the well - being of the children.
• To develop and implement Early Years Foundation Stage in partnership with the first school.
• To implement policies, procedures and practices within the Nursery, including all relevant legislation.
• To support and further our values, in particular the Christian ethos that comes with being a church school.
Tasks and responsibilities to include:
• To undertake the day to day management of the nursery to ensure that high standards are developed and maintained throughout.
• Keep abreast of legislation, guidelines and policies to ensure the Children’s Act and the Early Years Foundation Stage Welfare Requirements are met at all times.
• Support staff in the development and maintenance of high quality planning, observation and assessment procedures to ensure appropriate, engaging and exciting provision
• Ensure that appropriate records and administration systems are maintained to ensure confidentiality of information.
• Supervise and provide advice, guidance and training to all staff, students, trainees and others on work placements or work experience.
• Ensure nursery staff training and development plans are up to date and continued professional development is identified at staff appraisals, in partnership with the Headteacher.
• To act as an ambassador for the nursery and maintain a positive image of its aims and objectives, undertaking a key role in promotion and development of the nursery.
• To attend and participate in staff meetings and planning and development days.
• To celebrate diversity in terms of language, culture, ability, race and religion to benefit the education of the children.
• Take an active and knowledgeable part in planning for the EYFS curriculum and maintain accurate and effective children’s records.
• To ensure that a shared responsibility for health, safety and cleanliness is present throughout the nursery.
Qualifications, training and experience:
• Qualified teacher (NQTs are welcome to apply)
• Experienced in working with Early Years children.
• An in-depth knowledge of safeguarding and promoting the welfare of children
• Able to communicate effectively and to build positive relationships, including with the wider community
• Sound knowledge of Early Years Foundation Stage
• Able to track progress and assess accurately within the Early Years context
• Good understanding of The Children Act and Early Years Foundation Stage Welfare
• Have respect for the Christian ethos of the schools
• Interest in outdoor learning – we have great grounds and we like to make use of them!
• Experience in managing other staff effectively and positively
• Enjoy working with a friendly and co-operative team in a small school setting
• Paediatric First Aid qualification
• Experience with the Read Write Inc phonics scheme.
• Experience with working with children from 2 years old.
We extend a warm welcome to applicants who would like to visit the school and nursery beforehand – please contact the school office to arrange a mutually convenient time.
We are committed to safeguarding and promoting the welfare of children and young people and expect all staff to share this commitment. An enhanced DBS disclosure is required for this post.
Application forms and supporting documentation can be downloaded from our website www.lowickholyislandschools.org.uk
Paper copies are available from the school office by request.
Completed application forms and documents should be returned to the school or emailed to email@example.com before 12pm Wednesday 27th November 2019