DSCP - Independent Chair/Scrutineer
Please see advert text
Advert Start Date:
Advert End Date:
Hours per week:
Please see advert text
Social Care - Children Service
County Hall, Durham
This appointment is for a three-year tenure and is covered by IR35 arrangements. Working Pattern: 30 days per annum (any additional days to be agreed with Safeguarding Partners).
Durham Safeguarding Children Partnership (DSCP) are committed to creating the safest possible environment for our children and young people so that they can flourish and achieve their potential.
Having moved to new arrangements in 2019, we are a forward thinking and creative multi-agency safeguarding partnership and are seeking applications from individuals with the passion, vision and commitment to take partnership working to the next level. The Independent Chair/Scrutineer will support the DSCP’s vision of ‘keeping children safe’ through prevention and early intervention, a joined-up response and by listening to children and ensure their voices are heard in the work of the partnership. Improving outcomes and maximising impact for our children, young people and families through tenacity, curiosity and openness will embed a culture of continuous learning.
Applicants should have a relevant academic and/or professional qualification or demonstration of equivalent senior level experience in a safeguarding children context.
This role requires an outstanding individual with proven experience of chairing complex meetings at a senior level, in a multi-agency setting as well as experience of scrutinising activities and providing recommendations for improvement.
The successful candidate will need to evidence they can:
• Analyse complex information and provide robust scrutiny and challenge;
• Have the ability to ensure all partner agencies in Durham collaborate effectively to safeguard children, promote their welfare and improve outcomes;
• Demonstrate understanding of safeguarding practice and systems at a local level;
• Consistently provide transformational leadership and strategic vision;
• Demonstrate excellent negotiation and influencing skills;
• Demonstrate experience in building and maintaining productive partnerships.
For an informal discussion about the role please contact: Gordon Elliott, Head of Partnerships and Community Engagement on firstname.lastname@example.org or Helen Fergusson, Head of Children’s Care on email@example.com at Durham County Council.
The Independent Chair/Scrutineer is accountable to the Safeguarding Partners:
• Corporate Director of Children and Young People’s Service – Durham County Council;
• Detective Superintendent, Safeguarding – Durham Constabulary; and
• Director of Nursing – County Durham Clinical Commissioning Group.
For further information on the duties and specification of the role see the attached document.
The successful candidate will require an Enhanced DBS clearance.
Please note that interviews may be undertaken virtually through Microsoft Teams, depending on government advice at the time of interview.
To apply, please forward your CV, covering letter and supporting statement describing how you meet the specification for the post (by email) directly to: