DBS4019 Support Worker x 2
Advert Start Date:
Advert End Date:
Closed for applications on 18/10/2020 23:59
£20,092 - £20,903 pa
Social Care - Children Service
Any location within North Tyneside
North Tyneside Council are looking to recruit 2x Support Workers to work with young people within Starting Point, supported accommodation.
Starting Point provides supported accommodation settings for young people aged 16-21 years. Starting Point’s aim is to encourage young people, to engage with training and employment, to develop the skills needed to live independently and to take responsibility for their future. Priority is given to care leavers or those young people who have had some element of Social Services involvement. This is an active and varied role, involving accommodation based work and outreach as well as organisation and recording of information.
The key feature of this service is support provided by enthusiastic, motivated and dedicated staff who are committed to developing aspirations with young people.
The primary aims of the service are to:
• Support young people to develop aspirations for a successful future.
• Provide supportive accommodation through which young people can develop the necessary domestic skills to live independently.
• Provide support to engage and sustain young people in training and/or employment.
• Support young people in developing social skills through which to manage the transition to independence and active involvement in the community.
• Develop the skills young people need to take responsibility for their actions and future, including a focus on managing health needs.
• Work with young people to arrange appropriate move on plans and offer ongoing outreach, either through associated trainer flats or other accommodation.
Achievement of these aims requires resilience and determination from staff to support young people to overcome barriers that might otherwise impact on their success. Therefore, key tasks for staff both individually and as a team are to:
• Provide support for young people in placement or through outreach.
• Create a positive and supportive home environment.
• Help young people develop domestic skills needed to live independently.
• Engage young people in problem solving and decision making that will develop confidence and self-esteem to manage social situations.
• Support young people to make decisions and take responsibility for their actions and aspirations.
• Encourage young people to recognise and take responsibility for their own health and wellbeing.
• Engage young people in activities and events in the community that encourage involvement and a sense of belonging.
• Support young people in considering options for their future, including where they might live.
• Offer ongoing outreach to young people who move on to ensure a smooth transition and ongoing achievement.
Experience of working with young people is desirable although relevant life experience will be considered.
2x 37 hour permanent posts available – LG Grade 5 (plus allowances).
All posts are physically active and require work across the borough; the ability to work as part of a team and to manage lone working is essential, using your own skills and initiative to engage young people. A shift system includes sleep-in duties and possible waking nights, seven days a week including Bank Holidays.
For further information please contact Julie Connolly on 0758381026.
Please be advised that this position will require an Enhanced check from the Disclosure and Barring Service.
North Tyneside Council is committed to safeguarding and promoting the welfare of children, young people and vulnerable adults and expects all staff and volunteers to share this commitment.
In addition, staff and volunteers are expected to familiarise themselves with all relevant policies, procedures and guidance in relation to safeguarding children and safe practice with vulnerable adults. Within North Tyneside, safeguarding is everybody’s business.
This job is closed for applications.