Advert Start Date:
Advert End Date:
£37,134 - £40,662
Finance / Benefits / Revenues / Procurement
Forth Banks, Newcastle Upon Tyne
Accountant - JRN:16103
Salary Banding: £37,134 - £40,662
Ours is an organisation with real purpose, and our police staff roles offer you the chance to be part of something that really matters.
If you’re a qualified accountant and you’re looking a role where your skills can really make a difference to more than just the bottom line, this could be the job for you.
As an accountant for the force, you’ll support the planning and management of the force's strategic financial plans. It’ll be a fast-paced role, where you’ll prep, monitor and close the annual capital and revenue budgets.
Currently there is a flexible working arrangement in place which includes an element of home working as well as attending the relevant police premises. This role offers you the chance to deliver financial support and advice to a multi-force regional collaboration, accounting for joint operation arrangements as well as supporting the central finance function for Northumbria Police.
In return for your dedication and experience, we offer 23 days’ leave, excluding bank holidays, increasing to 28 days for 5 years+ service. We support our people inside and out of work – offering a very competitive pension scheme, childcare vouchers, and discounts on shopping and eating out thanks to the Blue Light Card. And to take care of your physical and mental well-being, we’ve invested in extensive paid sick leave, trained mental health first aiders on-site, an employee advice service and access to gyms in some stations.
What will I be doing?
• Supporting the timely and accurate preparation, monitoring and closure of the annual capital and revenue budget.
• Providing a high standard of financial information to budget holders and providing support and advice on budget management to senior management.
• Liasing with Heads of Department and reporting to Chief Officers as appropriate in order to support financial decision-making by senior management.
• Manage the welfare, recruitment, appraisal, development and discipline of staff within the finance department, ensuring that learning and development needs are identified, delivered and supported.
• Support the planning and management of the force's strategic medium and long term financial plans and report to Chief Officers accordingly in order to support their strategic decision making.
• Providing financial advice to force management on all financial matters in order to support management decision making.
What do I need?
• A fully qualified accountant (CCAB, CIMA or overseas equivalent).
• Strong communication skills, both verbally and written.
• Technically competent in the use of Microsoft Office products (Word, Excel, PowerPoint)
• Experience and knowledge of working within a public sector organisation.
• Experience of supervising finance teams.
• Experience of using computerised finance systems, preferably Unit 4 (Agresso)
For further information please see the role profile here: Role Definition
Vetting level: Management Vetting and Security Clearance (MV & SC)
Applicants must be a resident of the UK for a minimum period of 3 years to ensure vetting checks can be successfully performed. A job offer will be dependent upon vetting clearance, medical information and references.
If you have any queries with regard to the application process please contact the Talent Team by email at firstname.lastname@example.org
To discuss the position in more detail please contact John Worland, Principle Accountant by email at email@example.com
Northumbria Police fully supports a policy of equal opportunities and we welcome applications from suitably qualified people from all sections of the community, regardless of age, disability, gender reassignment, marriage and civil partnership, pregnancy and maternity, race, religion or belief, sex and sexual orientation. Appointments are based on merit alone.