Advert Start Date:
Advert End Date:
£9.62 per hour (paid via a bursary)
Yorkshire Dales National Park Authority, Bainbridge
The Yorkshire Dales National Park Authority in partnership with North Pennines AONB Partnership are advertising for a fixed-term 1-year full-time Farming and Nature trainee position for 37 hours per week funded by the National Lottery Heritage Fund. This position will undertake training opportunities with the Yorkshire Dales National Park Authority team and its partners to learn about the conservation and management of protected landscapes, predominantly providing support to the Tees-Swale - naturally connected programme.
The North Pennines AONB Partnership and the Yorkshire Dales National Park Authority are working in partnership to deliver this major natural heritage project that focuses on the landscape and communities of Upper Teesdale and Upper Swaledale. ‘Tees-Swale: naturally connected’ is a truly innovative, ground-breaking initiative that collaborates with farmers and landowners across an 845 sq km area to put farming at the heart of nature and nature at the heart of land management. For more information about this programme, please visit: https://www.northpennines.org.uk/what_we_do/tees-swale-naturally-connected/
• Assist with the development and delivery of wildlife and nature conservation projects
• Develop skills to assist with data entry into Excel spreadsheets, data analysis and ArcGIS mapping.
• Develop skills in engaging with farmers, landowners, contractors and the general public.
• Assist with organising and running of the training programme for farmers, landowners and conservationists.
• Develop activities and oversee training and community engagement activities and events at local venues as appropriate.
• Assist with organising, training and supervising volunteers.
• Input to the development of future projects and funding applications.
• Research, monitor, evaluate and administration for the above activities.
• To undertake other training as required, as directed by the Tees-Swale: naturally connected Farming and Nature Officers or other staff working on the Tees-Swale programme. The main responsibilities of this role will vary depending on the progress of funded programmes and priorities/needs at the time, and may change at short notice and during the appointment.
A minimum NVQ Level 2 in a subject related to nature conservation, land management, agriculture or ecology, or an expectation of being awarded by March 2021. Please see ‘Supporting Documents’ for further details on essential and desirable criteria for this role.
This is an excellent opportunity to undertake training and gain knowledge and experience of the management, conservation and restoration of protected landscapes in the North of England, working closely with farmers, landowners and agents. The successful individual will be operating in area and Park-wide team, and occasionally within wider project groups on various countryside management issues.
Salary: The successful candidate will be self-employed. Bursary payments equate to the hourly rate of the living wage determined by Durham County Council, however, as it is a training payment, there are no sickness or holiday payments and it is not taxable. Bursary payments will be made fortnightly in arrears on receipt of a timesheet and subject to satisfactory progress. If successful, you will need to register as self-employed and obtain appropriate public liability insurance.
Location: The position will be based from the Yorkshire Dales National Park Authority’s office in Bainbridge. The individual will need to be able to travel to various offices and more generally within the area as required.
Interviews: Interviews are likely to take place w/c 22 March 2021 via Microsoft Teams.
For further information: Please contact Niki Rust, Programme Manager, email@example.com or on 07918 361 996
As a disability confident employer, we are committed to employing disabled people and people with health conditions making reasonable adjustments to support disabled applicants when required.
PLEASE NOTE THAT ALL COMMUNICATION REGARDING YOUR APPLICATION FOR THIS POST WILL BE SENT TO THE EMAIL ADDRESS THAT YOU HAVE REGISTERED WITH NORTH EAST JOBS, INCLUDING YOUR INVITE TO INTERVIEW IF YOU ARE SHORTLISTED. PLEASE CHECK YOUR EMAIL AFTER THE CLOSING DATE FOR NOTIFICATION FROM DONOTREPLY@NORTHEASTJOBS.ORG.UK AS YOU WILL NOT BE NOTIFIED BY ANY OTHER MEANS. PLEASE ENSURE YOU CHECK YOUR JUNK MAIL.
In line with the County Council's Recruitment and Selection Policy, please note that we are unable to accept CVs. Any information provided on CVs will not be considered for short-listing purposes.
Apply on-line or for further assistance contact the Payroll & Employee Services on 03000 263154/264469/264086/266148 or email PESNCC@durham.gov.uk