Advert Start Date:
Advert End Date:
Closed for applications on 13/04/2021 23:59
Grade 10 (SCP 42-46) £45,859 - £49,917
Architects / Surveyors / Engineers
Anywhere within Sunderland Area. Initially based at Jack Crawford House & Working from Home
Applications are invited suitably qualified and experienced persons for the post of Bridges Group Engineer within the City Development Directorate of Sunderland City Council. The successful candidate will have commitment and enthusiasm to meet these challenges and to provide support to the Manager and supervision of several technical staff in the Bridges team.
Applicants must be Chartered Civil Engineers (or equivalent recognised qualification) self-motivated and have a flexible approach to working arrangements and will have suitable experience and operational knowledge within the Bridge engineering discipline.
The main areas of duties and responsibilities of the post include:
- To assist the Manager in leading, motivating and supporting staff within the Bridges Team and the overall Infrastructure and Commercial section.
- To act as Engineer to sign off Bridges and Structures technical approvals on behalf of the Local Highway Authority.
- To assist in the development of processes and supporting the delivery of services in line with departments delivery service plan, legislative and environmental requirements.
- To assist in managing service resources to ensure a value for money service is delivered and is in line with Council standing orders and financial regulations.
- Ensure the health and safety of employees and others, implementing safe systems of work, monitoring of inspection regimes and continuous review, identifying and managing associated risks, taking necessary actions and implementing revised procedures in accordance with corporate/directorate health and safety policy.
- To manage staff, budgets and other resources of the Bridges Team within the Infrastructure and Commercial section.
- The identification, development, design, management and implementation of appropriate programmes of work in the allocated service area.
- To provide a project management service to internal and external clients.
- To manage the delivery of construction project in compliance with contract procedures and Council governance.
- To support and contribute to the democratic process through the preparation of reports, attendance at committee and public meetings, and preparation of Area/Ward based bid applications for local priorities.
- To assist the manager in risk and business continuity planning.
- To maintain and develop meaningful communications and working relationships with other Services, Directorates, Councils, External Agencies and National Bodies to ensure that the section is at the leading edge of innovation and changes.
- To ensure the functions undertaken by the team are effectively co-ordinated and staff are adequately supported through:
• leadership and direction to staff.
• translating service objectives for staff by performance review and monitoring achievement.
• development of a structured and co-ordinated staff training plan to assist in attaining the strategic objectives of the section.
• the development and use of technology.
- Deputising for the section manager as and when required.
- To undertake the role of Principal Designer in accordance with the Construction Design and Management (CDM), where appropriate, for assigned projects.
- Carry out all your duties with full regard to the Council’s Equal Opportunities Policy, Health and Safety Policy, Code of Conduct and all other Council policies. As a team leader you are also responsible for assisting implementing the above policies within your team.
- Act in compliance with data protection principles in respecting the privacy of personal information held by the Council.
- Act in compliance with the principles of the Freedom of Information Act 2000 in relation to the management of Council records and information, including information held in electronic systems.
Please note that CVs are not acceptable.
As part of the process psychometrics will be used as well as a simulator to assess competency.
For an informal discussion on this opportunity, please telephone the manager Ken Heads on 077715218434 or email firstname.lastname@example.org. Alternatively, please contact Cliff Young, Bridges Group Engineer, on 0191 561 1291 or email email@example.com
Applications should be made online at northeastjobs.org/sunderlandcitycouncil. For further assistance contact the Operational HR Services – Email firstname.lastname@example.org
Please note that all communication regarding your application for this post will be sent to the email address that you have registered online with North East Jobs, including your invitation to any online assessment you are required to undertake and your invite to interview if you are short-listed. Please check your email inbox after the closing date for notifications as you may not be notified by any other means. Please remember to check your junk mail items.
Please be advised if you have not heard from us in six weeks after the closing date please assume you have not been shortlisted.
This job is closed for applications.