Temporary Teaching Assistant
Term-time only (Temporary)
Full time - term time plus specified days
Advert Start Date:
Advert End Date:
Closed for applications on 04/08/2021 23:59
£18,933 - £19,698 pro rata
Schools - Support
Greenfield Community College
Temporary Teaching Assistant
Grade 3 £18,933 - £19,698 pro rata
Required from 1st September 2021 until 31st August 2022
To work under the instruction/guidance of the site lead for SEND to support the delivery of quality learning and teaching for SEND students, specialising in those identified within the Physical and or Sensory area of need.
To encourage the participation of students in the social and academic processes of the school and enable student(s) to become more independent learners.
To undertake work/care/support programmes to enable access to learning for student(s) and to assist the teacher in the management of student(s) in the classroom.
Duties and Responsibilities
• Work in partnership with teachers and other professional agencies to provide effective support with learning activities;
• Awareness of and work within school policies and procedures;
• Support student(s) to understand instructions, support independent learning and to promote the inclusion of all students;
• Implement and contribute to planned learning activities/teaching programmes as agreed with the teacher, adjusting activities according to students’ responses as appropriate;
• Participate in planning and evaluation of learning activities with the teacher, providing feedback to the teacher on student progress;
• Support the teacher in behaviour management and keeping students on task based on the expectations for individual students;
• Under the guidance of a teacher monitor, assess and record student progress/activities;
• Provide feedback to students in relation to attainment and progress under the guidance of the teacher;
• Support learning by arranging/providing resources for lessons/activities under the direction of the teacher and in line with health and safety requirements;
• Support student(s) in their social development and their emotional well-being, reporting problems to the teacher as appropriate;
• Support student(s) with SEND needs as appropriate;
• Share information about student(s) with other staff, parents / carers, internal and external agencies, as appropriate and in line with school policies and procedures;
• Contribute to student(s) plans and reports;
• Support the work of volunteers and other teaching assistants in the classroom;
• Support the use of ICT in the curriculum;
• Work with student(s) not working to the normal timetable using Teacher’s planning.
• Undertake student record keeping and maintenance of records as requested;
• Invigilate examinations and tests;
• Provide cover to supervise a class and/or small group on an unexpected non-timetabled basis only;
• Assist in escorting and supervising student(s) on educational visits and out of school activities;
• Assist with the supervision of student(s) out of lesson times, including before and after school and at lunchtimes, but not as a supervisory assistant;
• Maintain a clean, safe and tidy learning environment;
• Support children’s learning through play and planned learning activities;
• Support student(s) in developing and implementing their own personal and social development;
• May be asked to administer medications subject to agreement and in line with school policy;
• Assist student(s) with eating, dressing and hygiene, as required, whilst encouraging independence;
• Provide basic first aid, if appropriate, ensuring timely referral to the health service in emergency situations;
• Monitor and manage stock and supplies for the classroom.
• Prepare and present displays
• Provide support to students who have communication difficulties also where English is an additional language;
Support for the School
• Be aware of and comply with policies and procedures relating to safeguarding/child protection, confidentiality and data protection, reporting all concerns to an appropriate person;
• Show a duty of care to students and staff and take appropriate action to comply with health and safety requirements at all times;
• Be aware of and support difference and ensure that all students have access to opportunities to learn and develop;
• Contribute to the overall ethos, work and aims of the school;
• Maintain good relationships with colleagues and work together as a team.
• Appreciate and support the role of other professionals;
• Attend relevant meetings as required;
• Participate in training and other learning activities and performance development as required;
• Demonstrate and promote commitment to equal opportunities and to the elimination of behaviour and practices that could be discriminatory.
The above is not exhaustive and the post holder will be expected to undertake any duties which may reasonably fall within the level of responsibility and the competence of the post as directed by the Head Teacher.
Where our roles are customer facing and you are required to speak to members of the public, the ability to converse at ease with customers and provide advice in accurate spoken English is essential for the post. As a disability confident employer, we are committed to employing disabled people and people with health conditions making reasonable adjustments to support disabled applicants when required.
Calculation of term time only plus two weeks’ pay
Term time only plus two additional weeks’ pay is calculated on the basis of the following:
• Number of ‘teaching’ weeks – 38 weeks; plus
• Public (bank) holidays – 1.6 weeks (8 days); plus
• Two additional weeks, inclusive of CPD – 2 weeks; plus
• Individual leave entitlement - 5.2 weeks (26 days) or 6.2 weeks (31 days)
Individual leave entitlement is calculated on the length of continuous service.
Employees with less than 5 years’ service will receive 26 days annual leave.
Employees with more than 5 years’ service will receive 31 days annual leave.
Calculation for employees with less than 5 years’ service:
40 weeks (term time plus 2) + 26 days (annual leave) + 8 days (public holidays) = 46.8 weeks’ pay, to be paid in 12 equal monthly instalments
Calculation for employees with more than 5 years’ service:
40 weeks (term time plus 2) + 31 days (annual leave) + 8 days (public holidays) = 47.8 weeks’ pay, to be paid in 12 equal monthly instalments
This post is not open to job share. Applications should be returned to the school.
Closing date: 4th August 2021
Interview date: 13th August 2021
Greenfield Community College
Tel: 01325 300378
This job is closed for applications.