2 x Assistant Payments, Income and Support Managers
Please See Advert Text
Advert Start Date:
Advert End Date:
Closed for applications on 12/12/2021 23:59
£42,821 to £46,845 p.a. (Grade 14)
Finance / Benefits / Revenues / Procurement
Green Lane, Spennymoor
Durham County Council is the largest council in the North East covering 862 sq. miles, centred around Durham City with its Cathedral and Castle World Heritage Site, we have a budget of around £1.3 billion which helps us provide services for more than 513,000 people.
We have a vision and three strategic ambitions to develop County Durham over the next 15 years. We are committed to ensuring that County Durham is a place where there are more and better jobs, people live long and independent lives and our communities are well connected and supported.
To achieve those ambitions, we need people who share our passion for positive change and will commit to deliver fantastic services to the people of County Durham.
Transactional Services provide a number of key front-line council functions to residents and businesses throughout County Durham. There are c70,000 Housing Benefit / LCTRS claimants; 230,000 council tax households; 14,000 business rate payers; and 7,000 adult social care charge paying clients supported by the service, many of whom are vulnerable.
We have an incredible opportunity for a dynamic, convincing, strategic thinker who has the energy and determination to drive and deliver positive change in a large, complex organisation.
You will report directly to the Payments, Income & Support Manager. The team are responsible for a broad and diverse range of transactional finance functions including:
• Management and reconciliation of all the Council’s income and expenditure to major funds and administration of the Council’s Income and Cash Management Policy and procedures, bankers automated payments services (BACS) and Payment Card Industry Data Standards (PCI DSS);
• Management and support of the Council’s end-to-end purchase-to-pay (P2P) process, including creditor, transactional purchasing and accounts payable functions and including all Adult & Health Service social care payments to residential and domiciliary care providers, payments to foster carers and care providers on behalf of the Childrens’ and Young Peoples Service as well as all fleet, transport and taxi payments;
• Application support and development of the OpenRevenues systems including Council Tax, Business Rates, Housing Benefit, Council Tax Reduction Scheme, Discretionary Housing Payments and Welfare Assistance Scheme, document management and workflow solutions and corporate income management and reconciliation systems;
• Quality assurance, systems & technical training and appeals for Council Tax, Business Rates and Housing Benefit;
• Service improvement and development including management and co-ordination of all service and systems improvement projects;
• Management of recovery and enforcement teams to provide and efficient and effective collection, recovery and enforcement service in relation to all Council revenue including Council Tax, Business Rates and all aspects of Sundry Debt, including adult social care client contributions and payments, taking a lead role in the development and management of the Corporate Debt Management Policy;
• Management of the Council’s Enforcement Agent Service ensuring policy and procedures and Policy conduct of enforcement agents complies with enforcement legislation and Council.
To this end you must be an effective communicator with strong influencing and negotiation skills, and have proven experience of successfully leading, managing and motivating others to achieve excellence and have a results driven, collaborative mindset.
One of the posts is full time permanent and the other is full time temporary until approximately 31st December 2022.
Durham County Council is a great place to work with an extensive range of rewards and benefits, the successful candidate could expect:
• Smarter/hybrid working
• Family friendly, flexible working between the hours of 7.30am and 7pm
• 26 or 31 days annual leave, depending on Local Government Continuous Service (excluding bank holidays) with the option to purchase an additional 10 days
• Local Government Pension Scheme
• Employee Assistance
• Learning and development
This is a fantastic opportunity so if you think this could be the job for you, we’d love to hear from you. If you would like to discuss this position in more detail please contact Michelle Waters, Payments, Income & Support Manager via email at email@example.com
It is anticipated that interviews will be held week commencing 20 December 2021.
Interviews will be held remotely via Microsoft Teams. If you are successful at shortlisting you will be notified via North East Jobs of the date and time of your interview. A separate invite will be sent via Microsoft Teams.
As a disability confident employer, we are committed to employing disabled people and people with health conditions making reasonable adjustments to support disabled applicants when required.
In line with the County Council's Recruitment and Selection Policy, please note that we are unable to accept CVs. Any information provided on CVs will not be considered for short-listing purposes.
Apply on-line via the jobs portal or for further assistance contact the Payroll and Employee Services Team on telephone no. 03000 268467/ 265861 or email firstname.lastname@example.org.
PLEASE NOTE THAT ALL COMMUNICATION REGARDING YOUR APPLICATION FOR THIS POST WILL BE SENT TO THE EMAIL ADDRESS THAT YOU HAVE REGISTERED WITH NORTH EAST JOBS, INCLUDING YOUR INVITE TO INTERVIEW IF YOU ARE SHORTLISTED. PLEASE CHECK YOUR EMAIL AFTER THE CLOSING DATE FOR NOTIFICATION FROM DONOTREPLY@NORTHEASTJOBS.ORG.UK AS YOU WILL NOT BE NOTIFIED BY ANY OTHER MEANS. PLEASE ENSURE YOU CHECK YOUR JUNK MAIL.
This job is closed for applications.