Advert Start Date:
Advert End Date:
Closed for applications on 12/07/2022 23:59
£18,887p.a. starting salary with career progression
Municipal Buildings, Stockton on Tees
We are looking for a Law Degree Graduate OR a Non-law degree graduate WITH a graduate diploma in Law (GDL) OR someone with a Level 3 CiLEX Diploma in Law & Practice to join us as a Trainee Legal Officer with the Council. We are offering the opportunity to develop your legal skills and knowledge whilst continuing with your studies to gain a Level 6 CiLEX qualification. If you are motivated and looking for the opportunity to make a real difference and follow a stimulating and rewarding career in Law, we would welcome an application from you.
As a Trainee Legal Officer you will provide administrative and legal support to the Legal Services Team assisting with a range of legal work including local land charges service, property transactions, contracts/procurement matters, litigation and social care (both adults and children) and case management.
As a local authority we do cover a wide range of legal responsibilities and we would require the trainees’ studies to align with the requirements of our service. We are a busy team, often working to tight deadlines so high personal standards and an ability to work under pressure and prioritise work will be essential. This is an excellent opportunity to start or build on your experience to date and will provide you with an insight into a number of legal disciplines in a diverse organisation, and provides an excellent basis to progress to qualify as a Legal Executive or to further study to become a Solicitor.
ESSENTIAL REQUIREMENTS: All candidates are required to meet the minimum essential requirements set out below. Please address in your application how you meet the following:
• A Law Degree or Non-law degree AND a graduate diploma in Law (GDL)
• Level 3 – CiLEX Diploma in Law and Practice
As well as:
• Minimum 5 GCSEs Grade C/4 or above or equivalent Level 2 qualifications (must include English & Maths)
• Excellent IT Skills – Microsoft Office (Word & Excel)
• Good Communication skills and attention to detail
WHAT WILL I BE STUDYING? You will be given appropriate paid time off work, to study and work towards completion of the Chartered Legal Executive – Level 6 apprenticeship qualification, which also enables you at the same time to work towards a Level 6 CiLEX qualification.
EMPLOYEE BENEFITS: We offer an excellent total reward package including:
• Competitive salary for a Trainee role
• Annual Leave Entitlement - 26 Days plus Bank Holidays
• Flexible Working – Flexi-time and the ability to work away from the office / at home in line with the Council’s policy after an initial 6 month probation period
• Health & Wellbeing Support – including Counselling and Physiotherapy Services
• Learning & Development opportunities - including a dedicated Mentor to support you and opportunities specifically for our Apprentices
• Fixed Term contract – allowing sufficient time to complete your qualification
• Potential to secure employment with the Council upon completion of your studies, and apply for internal vacancies restricted in the first instance to Council Employees throughout your apprenticeship.
SALARY & CAREER PROGRESSION: We offer a starting salary of Grade C – SCP3 £18,887p.a. £9.79per hour (subject to pay award) with career and salary progression upon completion of certain milestones in your training and demonstration of work at the appropriate level.
CONTRACT DURATION: 24 – 36months depending on qualifying prior learning.
HOW TO APPLY: Please ensure you submit an online application form by the closing date of Tuesday 12th July 2022. Please ensure you refer to the information included in the Advert, Job Description and Person Specification when completing your application.
If you would like an informal discussion about the opportunity, please contact Alison Thomas, Legal Practice Team Leader on 01642 526316 – email@example.com or Jill Douglas, Assistant Director on 01642 526309 – firstname.lastname@example.org
Please note that all communication regarding your application for this post will be sent to the email address that you have registered with North East Jobs, including your invite to interview if you are short-listed. Please check your email after the closing date for notification from ‘DONOTREPLY@NORTHEASTJOBS.ORG.UK’.
This job is closed for applications.