Advert Start Date:
Advert End Date:
Closed for applications on 22/02/2020 00:00
£21,589 - £23,836
Environmental Services / Waste / Recycling/ Parks
Permanent 37 hours per week
Closing date 21 February 2020 at midnight S
tart date will be 20 April 2020
Northumberland County Council operates a huge range of services across one of the largest counties in the UK. Local Government’s ongoing challenges and the diversity of our residents means we have to work smarter. That’s why we want bold, creative and agile thinkers who can help us move forward and innovate. For further information about working for Northumberland County Council, please click here: http://www.northumberland.gov.uk/working
Northumberland County Council’s Countryside and Green Spaces Team currently operates three Field Teams which carry out practical management work on public rights of way and at Country Parks and other Green Spaces.
You will be based at Plessey Country Park and under the direction of the Project Officer, you will lead a two person Field Team carrying out estate management work predominantly in south east Northumberland.
Whilst directing the Field Assistant, you must carry out requested works safely, efficiently and effectively, keeping clear and accurate written records.
You will be expected to work closely with staff from other Council departments and frequently come into contact with members of the public, particularly landowners and farmers so the ability to converse at ease with customers and provide advice in accurate spoken English is essential for the post.
We are offering:
- A starting salary of £21,589 (Band 5)
- Access to the Local Government Pension Scheme
- A wide range of staff benefits including a competitive annual leave provision
- Opportunities for job specific training and qualifications Essential requirements: - At least three years experience in landscaping, building or construction trades, including significant supervisory experience
- Practical estate management skills in: the construction and erection of gates, stiles and fencing: bridge construction, path surfacing, drainage installation; vegetation control using hand and power tools, and chemical controls; general landscaping and building maintenance
- A thorough knowledge of relevant Health and Safety procedures
- Able to follow agreed working procedures including the interpretation and implementation of risk assessments
- Ability to read and interpret maps and use a compass to navigate and confirm a location
- Willing and able to work alone and unsupervised in the outdoors
- Able to work on own initiative in the solving of problems
- Able to drive four-wheel drive vehicles, often towing trailers, both on-road and off-road
- Able to meet the physical requirements of the job in terms of lifting, carrying tools and timber significant distances over rough ground (on occasions in excess of 1 mile)
For further information about this vacancy, please contact Mike Carr 01670 623019 for an informal discussion
This job is closed for applications.