Temporary Support Assistant
Term-time only (Temporary)
Part time - term time
Advert Start Date:
Advert End Date:
Schools - Support
Villa Real School
Temporary Support Assistant ( x5 ) Required from September 2020 until April 2021, Part Time, Term Time only
The Governors wish to appoint an enthusiastic, dynamic Support Assistant (SA) with experience of working successfully and cooperatively as part of a team within a school for children and young people with one or more of the following: High medical needs, PMLD, SLD, ASC, challenging behaviour. He/she should have a clear understanding of the requirements for the care, health and welfare of children and young people.
1. Assisting with the learning in class as directed by a teacher
2. Cleaning and changing of pupils and students who have poor or no bowel and/or bladder control
3. General hygiene and care of all pupils and students as necessary, assisting pupils with dressing/undressing, toileting, washing, showering, menstruation, nose wiping etc.
4. Hoisting and positioning of pupils/ students
5. 1:1 feeding or group eating and feeding as directed assisting with the development of skills associated with independence, appropriate social behaviour and good manners
6. Assist with yard duty under the direction of a TA.
7. Daily laundry
8. Cleaning and hygiene of specialist seating which includes chairs and their trays and other attachments, beanbags and covers, mats etc.
9. Cleaning up spillages of body fluids and other things such as food and drink, sand and water, paint etc.
10. Escorting pupils to and from home/school transport
11. Escorting groups on out of school activities as an additional adult
12. Preparation of drinks and the hygiene and care of all specialist feeding/ drinking equipment in the classroom
13. Accompany pupils and students who: are developing personal independence on tasks as directed by a teacher e.g. walking practice, taking the register; are on time away from the classroom as a calming procedure; are having an alternative to in-class educational activity; need low stimulus quiet time; need fresh air in the yard, or a walk in the grounds or the local neighbourhood etc.
14. Assisting, as directed by an ETA, with hydrotherapy, PE and other similar activities
15. Assisting on various tasks around school that maintain equipment and rooms to enable them to be used effectively by pupils and students within school e.g. the PE cupboard, the music trolley, the balls and ball pool
16. Assisting as required by the Head Teacher in any way that is: consistent with the level and training of the job; for the benefit of the pupils and students and for the smooth running of the school
Durham County Council is an Equal Opportunities Employer. We want to develop a more diverse workforce and we positively welcome applicants from all sections of the community. Applicants with disabilities will be invited for interview if the essential job criteria are met. The school is committed to safeguarding and promoting the welfare of children and young people and expects all staff and volunteers to share this commitment. Any offer of employment will be subject to receipt of a satisfactory DBS Enhanced Disclosure.
This post is not open to job share
Calculation of term time only pay
Standard term time only pay is calculated on the basis of the following:
• Number of ‘teaching’ weeks – 38 weeks; plus
• Public (bank) holidays – 1.6 weeks (8 days); plus
• Individual leave entitlement - 5.2 weeks (26 days) or 6.2 weeks (31 days)
Individual leave entitlement is calculated on the length of continuous service. Employees with less than 5 years’ service will receive 26 days annual leave. Employees with more than 5 years’ service will receive
31 days annual leave.
Calculation for employees with less than 5 years’ service:
38 weeks (term time) + 26 days (annual leave) + 8 days (public holidays) = 44.8 weeks’ pay, to be paid in 12 equal monthly instalments
Calculation for employees with more than 5 years’ service:
38 weeks (term time) + 31 days (annual leave) + 8 days (public holidays) = 45.8 weeks’ pay, to be paid in 12 equal monthly instalments
Closing date: 30th June 2020 12 noon
Interview date: Week commencing 6th July 2020
Villa Real School
Villa Real Road
Tel: 01207 503651