Refuse Loader/HGV Driver.805
Advert Start Date:
Advert End Date:
£19,554 - £21,166
Environmental Services / Waste / Recycling/ Parks
Tyne Mills Depot
Refuse Driver Loader based at Tyne Mills Depot, Hexham
You will have overall responsibility for the careful use and maintenance of the vehicle and allocated tools and equipment.
Key Duties and responsibilities: Individually or as part of a team and under the general direction of senior colleagues:
1. To drive a HG Refuse Vehicle, load refuse and be responsible for a small team of refuse loaders providing overall guidance and motivating staff to achieve service objectives and quality standards.
2. Oversee the provision of efficient and effective refuse collection & recycling services in an allocated area to remove household, industrial and commercial waste in accordance with predetermined schedules and Council policy.
3. Undertake the collection of clinical waste, emptying dog waste bins and litter bins using an appropriate vehicle and removal of dead animals from the Highway.
4. Drive and operate a range of specialist vehicles to provide efficient and effective logistical support.
5. Complete, or ensure the completion of, all necessary paperwork to accurately record the resources used and progress of work in accordance with corporate procedures.
6. Record evidence of non-compliance with legal requirements and submission of paperwork to supervisory staff to facilitate investigations.
7. Ensure the safety of other employees and the public in relation to the work undertaken including the safe use of all plant, equipment and tools.
8. Liaise with service users and members of the public in a courteous and respectful manner and provide advice and information on waste services if requested to do so.
9. Ensure the team completes work within the time, quality and specified service standards.
10. Ensure that work is performed in a safe and responsible manner in compliance with the relevant risk assessment.
11. Work collaboratively with team colleagues to ensure that work plans are achieved and quality standards are maintained.
12. Be the principal point of contact within the Team to respond to and deal with simple problems, queries or complaints from service users referring more complex issues to the immediate supervisor.
13. Carry out routine vehicle driver and equipment operator checks, vehicle washing and routine maintenance in accordance with established procedures.
14. Actively participate in service improvement and development projects, where required to do so.
15. Staff will be expected to work across the other frontline Local Services such as Highways and Neighbourhood Services to provide cover to cope with peak service demands, for sickness, holidays, events and to respond to extreme weather conditions and emergencies.
This is a permanent, full time position.
We are offering:
A salary range of £19,554 - £21,166
Access to the Local Government Pension Scheme (or other pension scheme)
A wide range of staff benefits including a competitive annual leave provision
For a copy of the job description please see attached.
Previous applicants need not reapply, existing applications will be considered.
Closing date for applications is Midnight on 3rd July 2020
For guidance on completing your application and for information about our Equality and Diversity principles, please see attached notes
If you have a disability and would prefer to apply in a different format or would like us to make reasonable adjustments to enable you to attend an interview please email firstname.lastname@example.org