Advert Start Date:
Advert End Date:
Closed for applications on 23/11/2020 12:00
Environmental Services / Waste / Recycling/ Parks
Middlefields, South Shields
(Middlefields, South Shields)
South Tyneside Council Waste Services is based in South Shields, Tyne and Wear. We are currently undergoing huge transformation to deliver an efficient and effective Waste Service for the Borough. You will be part of a new team and will support the planning and daily operation of the Service.
You will ensure the general cleanliness/tidiness of all parts of the depot. You will also assist with bespoke pricing for waste removal and also act as the Co-Ordinator for any Council Events in relation to Waste Collection.
You will have an understanding of working within a depot environment, and and strong awareness of vehicle movements within a depot. You should have a knowledge of health and safety practices when working within that environment. You should also have experience of dealing with customers, acting with tact and diplomacy at all times, along with a confident manner and the ability to deal with people at all levels. You will need strong computer skills using systems such as Microsoft Office. A full clean driving licence is essential.
You will be responsible for delivering a high quality, customer focused service. You will:
• Carry out daily checks of all parts of the depot to ensure cleanliness and tidiness.
• Check the security of the depot including the repair of perimeter fencing on a weekly basis and act as a key holder.
• Carry out daily checks of all pathways, roads and access routes to ensure they are safe and free from obstruction. During inclement weather ensure all paths and roads are treated.
• Report all defects and ensure that repair works are carried out.
• Ensure that Council vehicles park in designated areas.
• Drive a large van or truck. You must be able to operate any powered/ancillary equipment with precision in relation to all vehicles.
• Monitor traffic movements within the depot and make recommendations for improvements in traffic management as required.
• Use a forklift truck to load and unload vehicles.
• Check all signage to ensure it is correctly placed and visible.
• Monitor the general condition of the sites and to assist in any internal recycling schemes.
• Manage bin stocks and order as required.
• Attend the depot management group and provide regular reports and feedback on issues of concern.
• Support the joint health and safety inspection process by assisting in co-ordinating and carrying out inspections when required and making sure that agreed actions are put in place.
• Ensure effective links are maintained with the Corporate Health and Safety section.
• Work proactively with contractors who may have a temporary or permanent presence in the depot to ensure the highest standards of site husbandry/cleanliness are maintained across all external areas, including shared spaces.
• Price bespoke waste removal jobs.
• Be the designated departmental officer on duty to support planned cultural events and festivals, including bank holiday working where required and participate in out of hours planned work programmes e.g. Darker Nights Safety Campaign and attend related call outs as necessary in the exigency of the service.
• Company Pension Scheme;
• Flexi Scheme ;
• Sick Pay;
• 25 days holiday rising to 30 days after 5 years’ service;
• On Site Parking.
To find out more about this role and to apply please visit www.southtyneside.gov.uk alternatively you can email email@example.com or call (0191) 455 4968. BT Typetalkers welcome.
Closing date: Noon, Monday 23 November 2020.
Please may we ask you to submit your Application Form via email to firstname.lastname@example.org where possible. We apologise but due to the circumstances there may be unavoidable delays in the receipt and processing of posted Application Forms.
This job is closed for applications.