Transport North East works to deliver game-changing transport schemes and initiatives.
Our goal is to greatly improve the lives of everyone living or working in our region.
We provide strategy, planning and delivery services on behalf of the North East Joint Transport Committee (NEJTC) and work tirelessly to implement our vision of moving to a green, healthy, dynamic and thriving North East.
The committee brings together the region’s two Combined Authorities (North of Tyne Combined Authority (NTCA) covering Newcastle, North Tyneside and Northumberland, and the North East Combined Authority covering Durham, Gateshead, Sunderland and South Tyneside) which have transport powers for the region.
We want to deliver a modern, robust transport system region-wide and promote greener, more sustainable travel.
We delivered the first North East Transport Plan in 2021 - a strategic document which sets out our regional transport aspirations up to 2035. The Transport Plan brings to life our transport aspirations for the region and includes a live programme of 243 schemes which will bring in at least £6.8bn of transport investment – a figure that will continue to grow over time.
We’re proud to have recently developed a series of accompanying strategies to help us achieve the aims and objectives of the Transport Plan and to have secured a number of important transport investments to bring major improvements to the region’s transport network. Our ongoing activities include:
• The delivery of the region’s ambitious Bus Services Improvement Plan (BSIP) and the delivery of the Plan and Scheme of the region’s Enhanced Partnership with the aim of growing bus patronage and encouraging modal shift across the North East.
• Driving transformation change through the delivery of programmes such as the region’s Transforming Cities Fund, Active Travel Fund and other major transformational investment programmes. Also we have been leading on the region’s competitive funding bids, securing millions of pounds each year to improve the North East transport network.
• Transport policy and strategy development including the North East Transport Plan, Zero Emission Policy, Making the Right Travel Choice and the North East Rail and Metro Strategy and more. We work with key stakeholders, including Transport for the North, to share knowledge and insights to strengthen transport provision across the region
• Working closely with local, national and regional partners to develop and improve services, stations and infrastructure for both passengers and freight. We lead the North East Rail Management Unit (NERMU) and development of the new North East Rail and Metro Strategy. We also work closely with Nexus and local authorities to develop business cases around the expansion of Metro and the reinstatement of the Northumberland and Leamside lines.
• The Tyne Tunnels, our team supports and acts on behalf of the NEJTC by assessing and monitoring the performance of TT2 Limited who operate and manage both the Tyne Pedestrian and Cyclist Tunnels and the two Tyne Road Tunnels on a day to day basis. The tunnels are jointly owned by the five Councils of Tyne and Wear through their membership of NECA/NTCAWe do this by:
• Providing a unified voice on key strategic transport issues
• Linking transport planning with regional economic priorities
• Offering strong representation on issues of national significance including rail, air travel, strategic road network and our ports
• Effective co-ordination – enabling improvement to the area’s public transport network
Find out more about the work we do at www.transportnortheast.gov.uk
or on social media.