Senior Tax Generalist and Tax Specialist roles
Advert Start Date:
Advert End Date:
Closed for applications on 03/12/2023 23:55
£52,960 - £59,190 / £64,160 - £67,525
Hours per week:
These roles offer Hybrid Working and are available on a full time, part time or job share basis, flexible working hours can be accommodated.
325982 / 326012
Senior Tax Generalist and Tax Specialist roles£52,960 - £67,525 (role dependent)
Contract Type: Permanent / Secondment
Working Pattern: These roles offer Hybrid Working and are available on a full time, part time or job share basis, flexible working hours can be accommodated.
Great policy making is about understanding what needs to change, what problems need to be solved and supporting Ministers to arrive at the best solution to deliver the change. We have a range of challenging roles that will give you the opportunity to make a real impact in developing policy, whether you are currently a tax specialist or you are completely new to tax policy but have great transferable skills!
About the Team
We are recruiting across multiple teams within the Business and International Tax Group and the Personal Tax, Welfare and Pensions Group. Both Groups are friendly, diverse and supportive and offer a range of flexible working options.
About the Job
Our policy teams have a diverse range of previous experience, as our recruitment focuses on the core skills that underpin the roles - including strong problem-solving skills, the ability to clearly explain your thinking both in writing and in person, and the drive to overcome challenges and see your ideas through into action and delivery. Available roles:
Senior Policy Advisor (325982) £52,960 - £59,190:
Whilst some roles will vary slightly depending on their focus, all our senior tax roles:
Head of Tax Policy Unit (326012) £64,160 - £67,525:
- Lead projects which shape a specific area of tax policy or strategy
- Influence others to achieve HM Treasury and Government objectives
- Step back from day-to-day tasks to understand where your work fits
- Drive forward and project manage work in a fast-paced environment
- Undertake robust analysis
In addition to Senior Policy Advisor:
For both roles:
- Demonstrate strong leadership of your area, delivering through others to ensure successful delivery of objectives and acting as an excellent line manager, developing a small team of policy advisors and senior policy advisors to fulfil their potential.
It is not always a requirement to have previous tax experience. For those entering one of these roles without prior tax knowledge , we provide a comprehensive training offer including an induction programme delivered by academic experts, and the opportunity to study for professional tax qualifications if required.
We are looking for you to be confident in engaging with a diverse range of stakeholders on a regular basis. All our roles require good judgement, the ability to get to grips quickly with new issues, and the ability to work well with others, alongside an interest in developing your understanding of tax policy.
Already a tax specialist?
We can tailor the roles based on your skills and background, if you demonstrate:
- Relevant qualification, either tax (CTA, ATT), accountancy (ACA, ACCA) or appropriate solicitor equivalent (although those working towards this such as qualification can also be considered)
- Strategic understanding of the tax system, developed through your track-record of working in a tax related area in a previous role
We will be hosting drop-in sessions so that you can gain more insight into the roles available and the application process. For further details please follow the apply links.
HM Treasury is proud of a diverse and inclusive work environment, committed to fairness and the promotion of equality of opportunity for all. We know that having a range of experiences, ways of working and thinking makes us a stronger organisation, better at developing policy that is reflective of the communities we serve. We embrace different views and experiences and value the fresh perspective that people from a variety of circumstances bring to the work we do. We welcome applications from candidates who have not previously worked for the Civil Service, mid- and late-career changers with transferrable skills, people from all backgrounds and circumstances regardless of disability, ethnicity, LGBT+ identity and socio-economic status.
Some of the Benefits our people love!
For more information about the roles and how to apply, please follow the apply links.
- 25 days annual leave (rising to 30 after 5 years), plus 8 public holidays and the King’s birthday (unless you have a legacy arrangement as an existing Civil Servant). Additionally, we operate flexitime systems, allowing employees to take up to an additional 2 days off each month
- Flexible working patterns (part-time, job-share, condensed hours)
- Generous parental and adoption leave packages
- Access to a generous Defined Benefit pension scheme with employer contributions of 27%
- Access to a cycle-to-work salary sacrifice scheme and season ticket advances
- A range of active staff networks, based around interests (e.g. analysts, music society, sports and social club) and diversity (e.g. women in the Treasury, ethnic minority network, LGBT* network, faith and belief network)
- Access to a range of allowances if eligibility applies. These include profession related allowances. HM Treasury awards Professional Tax Allowances to staff who demonstrate a strong ability in tax policy making and a commitment to continuous professional development.
If you need any reasonable adjustments to take part in the selection process, please tell us about this in your online application form, or speak to the recruitment team at email@example.com
This job is closed for applications.