Advert Start Date:
Advert End Date:
Closed for applications on 03/05/2019 12:00
£21,589 - £23,836
Traffic / Highways / Road Safety
Northumberland County Council operates a huge range of services across one of the largest counties in the UK. Local Government’s ongoing challenges and the diversity of our residents means we have to work smarter. That’s why we want bold, creative and agile thinkers who can help us move forward and innovate.
For further information about working for Northumberland County Council, please click here: http://www.northumberland.gov.uk/working
The postholder will work within our Neighbourhood Services team and will play an important part in the supervision and provision of an efficient safe and effective service.
1. Direct and supervise the activities of a small NEAT team of street cleansing operatives, and grass cutters, providing clear guidance and motivating staff to achieve service objectives and quality standards.
2. Lead the provision of an efficient and effective street cleaning and grass cutting service in an allocated area to designated standards and in accordance with predetermined schedules.
3. As necessary, drive and operate a range of specialist vehicles to provide efficient and effective logistical and operational support.
4. Complete, or ensure the completion of, all necessary paperwork to accurately record the resources used and progress of work in accordance with corporate procedures.
5. Ensure the safety of other employees and the public in relation to the work undertaken including the safe use of all plant, equipment and tools.
6. Liaise with service users and members of the public in a courteous and respectful manner.
7. Ensure the team completes work within the time, quality and specified service standards.
8. Ensure that work is performed in a safe and responsible manner in compliance with the relevant risk assessment.
9. Work collaboratively with team colleagues to ensure that work plans are achieved and quality standards are maintained.
10. Ensure the team respond to and deal with simple problems referring more complex issues to immediate supervisor.
11. As necessary, carry out routine vehicle driver and equipment operator checks in accordance with established procedures
12. Staff will be expected to work across the frontline services within their allocated local NEAT team.
13. Undertake any responsibilities within the staff disciplinary procedure and undertake the appraisal of subordinate staff.
14. Act as cover for Senior NEAT Team Leader as required e.g. during holidays etc.
We are offering:
- A starting salary of £21589
- Access to the Local Government Pension Scheme (or other pension scheme)
- A wide range of staff benefits including a competitive annual leave provision
Previous experience in a related area of work.
NPTC Arboriculture Certification
NPTC Pesticide PA2
LGV/HGV Licence minimum level 2
NPTC Pesticide PA1 & 6
Knowledge of the legislation and regulations relating to driving.
An awareness of Health & Safety legislation and its application in the workplace
Relevant knowledge of the range of tasks together with the operation of associated tools and equipment.
An appreciation and interest in the need for the service.
Recent experience of supervising NEAT Team operations on a regular basis.
Experience of carrying out vehicle checks
Able to understand and follow straightforward spoken and written instructions.
Able to keep basic work records.
Ability to drive a variety of Street Cleansing and Grounds Maintenance vehicles/plant.
Specialist skills associated with the operation and maintenance of hydraulic equipment.
Able to plan, organise and prioritise resources and staff, including own time
Willing and able to work variable shift patterns including evening work and full night shifts.
For further information about this vacancy, please contact Ray Wealleans 01670 625579 for an informal discussion.
Northumberland County Council is an equal opportunities employer. We welcome applications from all sectors of the community. We recognise the difficulties that transgender applicants in particular may face during a recruitment process; if Trans applicants have any concerns regarding the process please contact Claire Coe (Trans HR Support Officer) on 07775026871 or firstname.lastname@example.org. We operate a guaranteed interview scheme for disabled applicants who meet the essential criteria. All applications to work on a part-time will be considered in line with the requirements of the post and the needs of the service.
If you have a disability and would prefer to apply in a different format or would like us to make reasonable adjustments to enable you to attend interview please email email@example.com.
This job is closed for applications.