Stockton-on-Tees Borough Council is a local unitary authority with big plans for its future. It wants to improve the Borough’s six towns while making a real, positive difference to our residents’ lives, supporting our businesses, attracting inward investment and welcoming visitors.
The Council is a driving force behind the Borough’s success, and prides itself on providing a range of superb services to our residents, businesses and visitors.
It’s no wonder our population of 200,000 is growing, business is booming and our residents tell us they are happy to live here. We generate £4billion for the Tees Valley’s economy – that’s a third of its economic output. We have beautiful parks, open spaces and towns set against the backdrop of the River Tees, a world-class year-round events programme and excellent housing and schools.
But we also face some important challenges. We have affluent areas alongside areas of deprivation. Nine of our 27 wards are in the 10 per cent most deprived in the country and there is a gap of 21 years in average life expectancy amongst men between our most and least deprived wards. We’re committed to tackling this inequality.
We’re not afraid to work hard or make brave decisions to improve peoples’ lives which will benefit residents of all ages and help the Borough grow including:
• exciting plans to regenerate our six towns;
• investing in children’s homes to reduce the number of looked after children and young people who need to be placed outside the Borough;
• collaborative working alongside partner agencies to deliver the best services such as our joint approach to hospital discharges which has seen us identified as one of the best performing local authorities in this area
• The Globe Theatre, a major restoration project, funded by Stockton-on-Tees Borough Council and the Heritage Lottery Fund which saw a beautiful art deco building transformed into an event venue fit for the 21st Century in the heart of Stockton Town.
• A 128-room hotel owned by the Council operated by Hampton by Hilton.
We have an amazing workforce here at Stockton-on-Tees Borough Council, committed to delivering high class quality services to our residents and businesses.
Employees are encouraged to reach their full potential and supported in their roles with regular appraisals, one to ones with managers and access to learning and development opportunities. Growth and career development is encouraged and many employees have climbed up the career ladder whilst working for the Council.
There’s a role for everyone! Here’s some examples of jobs at the Council, if you like….
Outdoors work and being out and about; you could be working for us as a Roadworker, Park Ranger, Civic Enforcement Officer or Street Lighting Electrician
Being creative and working with technology; you could be working for us as a Marketing & Communications Officer, Events Coordinator, or ICT / Systems Support
Helping and caring for people; you could be working for us as a Residential Care Officer, Care Support Worker, Careers Advisor or Homelessness Prevention Officer
Being organised and problem solving; you could be working for us as an Administration Assistant, Library & Information Assistant, Customer Services Officer or Project Manager
Working with numbers and spreadsheets; you could be working for us as a Finance Assistant, Procurement Officer, Data Analyst or Payroll Officer