Advert Start Date:
Advert End Date:
Closed for applications on 04/05/2021 23:59
£18,169 - £36,961 pro rata to hours worked
Your normal place of work will be allocated schools, but you may be required to work at any location within County Durham and Darlington
Children & Young People’s Services
Durham Music Service
Vacancy Reference No: CYPS/21/134
Post title: Vocal Teacher – 0.5 FTE – temporary until 31/08/2022
Salary: £18,169 - £36,961 Teachers Unqualified 1 – Main Pay Scale 6 (pro-rata to hours worked)
Job Location: Your normal place of work will be allocated schools, but you may be required to work at any location within County Durham and Darlington
From 1 September 2021
An exciting opportunity has arisen to work with Durham Music Service as a vocal teacher. We are looking for an inspiring, creative, and hardworking music educator who wants to make a real difference to the lives of young people through music.
Durham Music Service is the lead partner in the Durham and Darlington Music Education Hub.
Why work with us?
• Excellent Terms and Conditions. All staff receive Teachers’ Pay and Conditions and are supported with our own comprehensive personalised CPD programme throughout their career.
• Forward Thinking: Durham Music Service has been at the forefront of support of virtual learning throughout the pandemic with new initiatives and our hugely successful YouTube Channel
• High level of Engagement: Our highly respected service works in partnership with over 95% of schools in both Durham and Darlington
• Exciting Partnership Work with national portfolio organisations such as the Orchestra of the Age of Enlightenment, the Hallé and National Youth Jazz Orchestra of Great Britain.
• Durham and Darlington are great places to live and work: Rich in heritage, culture and natural beauty with many beautiful villages and towns to choose from, the local area offers a great relocation choice with house prices 52% of the national average and access to excellent schooling.
As part of the post, the successful candidate will support and train the highly successful Durham County Youth Choir and Training Choir, one of Durham Music Service’s flagship senior ensembles. The choir and training choir rehearse weekly during term time (Friday 4:15pm – 7pm) and you would be expected to be involved in additional weekend/evening concerts during term time. Please note, due to COVID-19 restrictions our ensembles are being run virtually. The successful candidate would support the delivery of ‘Online Voices’ if required.
Applicants must have a recognised vocal music performance qualification (Grade 8 or equivalent) and either a teaching qualification or some previous teaching experience. They must also be able to demonstrate a high standard of choral conducting. The successful candidate will be involved in delivering both small group tuition and whole class ‘First Access’ programmes.
We welcome applications from musicians/graduates at the beginning of their career who may have limited teaching experience to date (e.g. teaching experience might include private teaching or a teaching module as part of a course). Working within music education is a great career choice for those with flair and creativity who want to inspire our young people though music making.
Want to find out more? Come along to our informal “Work with Durham Music Service” webinar on Wednesday 15 April at 4:30pm to meet some of our team and ask any questions
• The job involves travel across County Durham /Darlington Borough and candidates must be able to meet this provision – due to the rural nature of the area and the schools covered, this is not usually possible by public transport.
• The service is committed to safeguarding children. All candidates will need to demonstrate a commitment to the welfare and safety of children and young people. Any offer of employment will be conditional upon receipt of two supportive references and a successful DBS check.
• The County Council is an Equal Opportunities Employer. We want to develop a more diverse workforce and we positively welcome applications from all sections of the community
If you have any questions or would like to find out more about the role and/or your application, please contact Carolyn Norris (Deputy Head) firstname.lastname@example.org
Interviews will be held during week commencing 17 May 2021 and will be online.
PLEASE NOTE : this post is not suitable for job share
As a disability confident employer, we are committed to employing disabled people and people with health conditions making reasonable adjustments to support disabled applicants when required.
Apply on-line via the jobs portal or for further assistance contact the Payroll & Employee Services Team via e-mail at NEJ@durham.gov.uk or PESCYPS@durham.gov.uk
In line with the County Council’s Recruitment & Selection Policy, please note that we are unable to accept CV’s. Any information provided on CV’s will not be considered for short-listing purposes.
Please note that all communication regarding your application for this post will be sent to the email address that you have registered with North East Jobs, including your invite to interview if you are short-listed. Please check your email after the closing date for notification from ‘DONOTREPLY@NORTHEASTJOBS.ORG.UK’ as you will not be notified by any other means.
This job is closed for applications.